This article will list out the steps to get a e17 desktop(enlightenment 0.16.999.032) in OpenSuSE 10.1.
update : There is an official SuSE repository for e17 now. Check this post for details. To install e17 from RPM’s check out this earlier post and just replace step 1 according to the new Installation Source.
Here are the steps :
- I will assume we already have a functional desktop (can be FVWM or GNOME or KDE etc.) depending on the choice during installation (minimalistic gui, gnome or kde) respectively. I had a FVWM desktop :P
- Get the sources from Enlightenment Snapshot repository. Download the packages : eet, evas, ecore, embryo, edje, enlightenment
- Then just unarchive each of the tar.gz archives and then we start
building each of the packages in the order : eet, evas, ecore,
embryo, edje, enlightenment
The build procedure should be :
cd [package-directory]./configure --with-x --enable-render-xmakesu -make install
The default location for the install is : /usr/local/However the default location can be changed with the —prefix=”new-location” option in the ./configure step.
- Make sure pkg-config is already installed in your system. If its not installed install it using Yast.
- A few other requirements are : X11-devel, libpng-devel etc. If
you get any error such as : libXXX.so missing or XXX.h
missing just go into yast using
su -yast2 swsingle&
And then search for that missing file. Make sure the RPM “Provides” option is selected. Then install the devel packages.
After enlightenment is successfully installed we need to set the current
window manager to enlightenment. In the terminal type in :
su -yast2 sysconfig&
In the system config editor.. Navigate to : Desktop -> Window Manager -> DEFAULTWM change the value of that setting to enlightenment
Enjoy e17 ;)